Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Soul Searching

When I first decided to begin this blog I had so many ideas of topics to write about. Now my mind is blank! I really don't know where to start.
It's Christmas time and it's depressing because for most people (including myself) it's about buying gifts for family & friends. This year I'm not making half of what I was last year, but I still have to purchase gifts for everyone. I have a problem with letting people know I'm broke. I don't know why, I just feel like I'm responsible for doing so much for everyone. But I have decided that I'm not going to let this stress me out. I'm going to take care of my daughter and that's it. If I have extra then I'll do extra. (sigh of relief)
I still don't know where to begin.

Bond Grrl, my last post I said that I'll speak more about being a Bond grrl and why every lady should be one. My teacher Solitaire said that Bond grrls represent feminine strength, beauty and resilience. They are strong-willed, smart, dangerous, elegant. "Timeless, intelligent and not naive." She said that, "...Confidence and feeling comfortable with yourself are very, very attractive attributes. And due to this confidence, a Bond grrl can (and does) do anything." I've always had a hard time trying to explain things to others (my word don't always come out right). But, Solitaire explains Bond grrls keys roles' they play in their James' lives, how to be completely in charge of her life, and finding out what she is passionate about and then pursuing that. Of course you know who James is?? James Bond??? We all should have one or wait for him to find us. http://bondgrrl.blogspot.com/

Well, I don't know if I explained what a Bond grrl is and I really don't know what this has to do with soul searching but I'm finished for now.

2 Comments:

At 7:25 PM, Blogger Solitaire said...

I think you are doing great! I am so proud of you :-)

I think I said in the last comment that I posted how to "link" to my blog -- I linked to yours, did you see :-) It's not that hard -- you have to search out a bit of the "code" of the website, but then you can have my blog linked on the righthand side, and then people can find it quickly.

Christmas is so interesting. I totally hear you, my Grrl. This year, because we are going to be gone from 12/26-1/4, it just doesn't "feel like Xmas." Also, I know the broke thing!

But I will tell you what my James and I have been doing. We have been going thru ALL of my things -- my other Bond homegrrl, Domino, helped me with this too. Regardless of your age, you accumulate a lot! And some things (like makeup, spices, etc.) do not keep.

So what I am doing this year is figuring out what I already own, that someone else might love. I have vases...I have lots of wine glasses....I even have wine. So for friends who are couples, I am taking some ribbon, and tying the glasses that match (no chips!) to the bottle of wine, and then putting a "Xmas suggestion" for them. For example, one said "First, you bring your baby over to [Solitaire] for a free afternoon of babysitting. Then, you pack up that old scratchy college blanket, and this bottle of wine and glasses -- oh, and some cheese and bread you pick up along the way....and head for the beach. It's really too cold, so you just snuggle under the blanket, and have some wine (don't let the cops catch you!) and relax, and put your heads on each others' shoulders. Now, don't be too late, [Solitaire] is patiently waiting with the baby! Happy Happy Christmas."

You get the idea -- the idea being that it actually cost me ~nothing~ to do this. I even had the glasses. One of them, I suggested that they throw the glasses into a roaring campfire and as the glasses smashed, to pretend it "released their wishes into the new year."

For my mom and dad, I just came clean, and said that I had to do "service gifts." So I am re-potting some of my mom's outdoor plants, and my dad (he's funny) said that my 'gift to him' would be letting him 'enjoy me' during a round of golf (~his~ treat).

For my James? An hour and a half massage from me, with a manicure, pedicure, and facial. Yes, really! I got all the stuff from the local beauty supply and I think this will be a hoot. That could even work for friends, really.

The thing that we never seem to have is money -- or time. But if you're working on your finances, then the thing that your friends want the most of you is really YOU. And finding ways, through re-gifting and through "service" gifts, to do that is a wonderful and very savvy Bond grrlish thing to do.

Happy Holidays!

Solitaire

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Solitaire said...

YOU DID IT! I see the link -- you are the bomb! You're linked on mine too.

BIG smile!

Solitaire

 

Post a Comment

<< Home