Thursday, March 02, 2006

VENTING

I interviewed back in January for a higher job position with the company in a different department that I'm presently working for. I feel like the interview went well, I answered all the questions and asked a few questions to show my interest and knowledge of the job. I have all the qualifications that they are looking for, not all the experience but I do have all that the interviewer said she was looking for. I haven't heard back from them. I interviewed with three people and I sent them all excellent Thank you letters, I've left many voice-mail messages inquiring about the job and emailed two people to see what was up but, I haven't got an answer yet. I was told last week via email that it hasn't been filled but I wasn't told if I'm still considered as a candidate. Someone said that I should keep calling (bugging) them to show my interest but I don't think that's a good idea. So, here's my problem...

Last week sometime, I went into the break area and a group of ladies were sitting at the table talking about the job opening and while I was standing there waiting for the microwave one of the ladies said that they heard that someone in our office applied for it. (in this sarcastic voice) I didn't say anything to her about it because she probably was talking about me being that I'm the only one in whole office with a degree that qualifies. I didn't tell anyone that I went after the job and had an interview so I don't know how my co-worker would know. So I was thinking that maybe the people who interviewed me said something to my boss and in return she said something to them to keep me from the job. There is nothing she can say about me professionally because I do my job well! & I stay professional at all times (despite working with the most getto people I've ever seen!!) A lot of the ladies are jealous of me for reasons unknown to me and I think that she or somebody was just "playa hate'in me"! Or, I'm I being paranoid.

I don't know!! I'm all confused and depressed about it!! If I can get this job it will be the best thing for me financially. I'm so worth it and I know that I can be good at it. So why don't they hire me???!! I've prayed about it and I'm trying not to get discouraged but when will I FIND OUT???!!! That the part that really has me so paranoid! When Will They Let Me Know Something??!!

1 Comments:

At 12:46 PM, Blogger Solitaire said...

If you feel that you can, I think the best thing to do is actually to bring your concern up to the woman who interviewed you for the job (that might have mentioned it to your boss). Just state that you heard some things from co-workers who do not have the same sort of degrees that you do or work ethic, when you were in the lunchroom, you are concerned about them, and you want to 'address any concerns that she might have' with respect to your fit for the job.

The thing to do is to be very professional and matter-of-fact about it -- not emotional. Go about it from the standpoint of "the job is yours" -- that you know that you can make a difference for her (new boss), that you are excited to be moving to that position, and that you want to answer any questions that might be on her mind so that she can make her final decision. If she has questions that were raised by your current boss, you would like to know about them, because there are some "conflicts" in your current department, perhaps due to the fact that you have more educational background than the people filling the positions that you fill, and you want to be sure that your "new boss" has a "full picture" from "all sides."

Prayer is good -- action is better. Professional action is the best. Remember -- this is your job. It's not "their job to give you" -- it's your job to "lose" in a way. That's the only way to really be in respect to this. So you need to "answer any concerns" that she might have -- heck, offer to take her out to coffee or to lunch if she might look like someone who would want to do that -- be professional, act as if the job is yours.

And if it's not -- move on. Don't get discouraged, but often we just can't get "there from here." I worked as a secretary in a law firm when I was applying for law schools -- one that there was no way that I would want to work for. Well - Murphy's Law! -- a law firm I really DID want to work for (in fact, it was THE law firm in San Francisco -- and the one that I was working for was in San Diego -- it's so amazing when I think of it!) -- that law firm BOUGHT the one I worked for.

When I became a lawyer, I was still "tagged" as a secretary, now through this "big" firm b/c I had worked as a secretary for that little firm -- in SAN DIEGO -- that they had bought. This was so unfair. I stomped my feet and tore my hair. I was top 10% of my graduating class, I had all the skills, etc. But I was "still a secretary" and there is a LOT of prejudice in the legal profession against "staff" -- it's sick. It's like any prejudice, totally irrational and STUPID really (you're a MUCH better "boss" if you have been in the shoes of the "staff"!!)

Anyway -- so I whined a lot (I wasn't in my Bond Grrl training then!) and I went on to a different firm, b/c I was "polluted out" of the other one, b/c of what "people thought of the staff" -- literally, completely insane crap. Sort of like your situation. But what I wound up doing from there was SO MUCH BETTER.

The deal is, I didn't have the "ovaries" (we can't say "balls" can we???) to go to the partner who was interviewing, and bring up my concerns. My lord no. But if I had, and even IF he had said "oh no, that's not it" he would have had to have told me what "it" was. And there wasn't anything that he could say otherwise. I just ~knew.~ But then again, did I want to work for someone who was swayed that way -- maybe not. But I did not get that job, and it "turned out" to be for the best -- but I MIGHT Have gotten it -- which could have been a "different best," if I had acted a bit differently and been brave, and "bearded the lion in the den" as they say -- professionally. "Answering any concerns," etc.

And besides -- go in as Mica. Don't go in as you. You will act totally differently -- I believe this for a fact. Mica doesn't "need" that job. Mica doesnt listen to that sass. We both know that. She's the best. She dresses the best. She has "attitude" without being a b*tch. She's a Bond Grrl. Put her on, take a deep breath....and go practice.

Love you....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home